Well, as you may know (if you’ve read everything on this Website), Emelda arrived here on January ninth of 1998. It was one of the most momentous days of my life. She and I had been apart for nine long months and we were both so thrilled that the unbearable wait was finally over. Here’s an entry from "My Immigration Diary" (which you can read elsewhere on this site):


Her flight touched down at 5:46 p.m. Due to a rainstorm and a traffic jam in an airport parking structure, I arrived at the arrival area of the international terminal just after 7:00 p.m. I looked around for Emelda who had told me that she would be wearing jeans and a white blouse. She was nowhere in sight. I used the restroom and then looked around for her some more. After about five minutes, she emerged from the ramp which leads to the arrival area and stood in one place, scanning for me. I walked up from behind her and put my arm around her. She was too shy and demure to reciprocate in front of hundreds of people, so we went across the street to the parking structure and headed up to the fifth level where my car was parked. Alone in the elevator, we stole a few hugs, but she wouldn't kiss me. She was worried about her breath and wanted to brush her teeth before she would award me with her lips.

We sat down in my car and clutched each other for awhile. I cried and cried and she tried to calm me. I had turned the car heater on as well as the cd player and we just held each other while we got warm and listened to romantic music. Eventually, I decided that I had better let go so that we could get home, get her teeth brushed and make out, but when I tried to start the car, the battery didn't have enough power. We had held each other so long that I had run down the battery! I called the Automobile Association of America for a jump start. They said that they would take awhile. I didn't care! I just clutched my bride as closely as I could!

The automobile club had trouble finding us, but it didn't matter because, after I gave the battery a rest, the car started up and we headed home. I said to Emelda, "This'll make a great story for the Website." She agreed.

Thus, our life together in L.A. began with a vehicular twist. Once I got her home, I finally got a few kisses from her after which, Emelda laid down for a well-deserved nap. She had never been on a flight that lasted more than an hour and wasn’t on a small plane. The fourteen-hour trek from Manila to L.A. was a marathon for her. She rested comfortably while I tried to stop myself from climbing to the roof and shouting my exclamations of joy to an unsuspecting Los Angeles.